Friday, December 18, 2009

Where does the time go??!

Christmas always brings back so many memories for me. TONS with my mom, with my family - just all around, happy/great memories. Those are the memories that have stuck with me over the years. No matter how old I get, I can always remember those great things. Sure, I forget some of the details, but Adam is normally really good about remembering those and that's when I say, "Oh yeah! I forgot about that!" I guess I shouldn't use the word "memories"...more like traditions. Traditions that I want to carry out for Ty. I want him to experience the traditions that I had as a kid and still remember to this day. I remember waking up EARLY EARLY and going in for a "peek", then being so excited to see what Santa had brought us, running in and waking up Adam (very quietly, so mom wouldn't wake up and realize we were already up...HOURS before we were allowed to come get her to open presents)...I would stand over Adam...give him a little shake and say, "Toe! Wake up!!!! Come see what Santa brought!" - In case you didn't know, we called Adam "Toe" growing up...it's the hair! Then, after we'd go see what Santa brought us, realizing we still had 3-4 more hours before we could wake mom up, I would go camp out in Adam's floor and we'd talk about what we would do with the toys Santa brought for us. Then, clock strikes 5, ON THE DOT, here we go..."Mom, it's Christmas!!! Wake up!!" We would go open our presents and I will never forget the happiness on my mom's face as she would see us open our presents and it be EXACTLY what we asked for. Then, I didn't realize all the excitement she felt and the accomplishment of providing a Christmas for 2 kids, BY HERSELF. Now, I can honestly say she is my hero. I now know what that huge grin on her face meant, and the feeling of accomplishment. I know Ty is still little and won't experience these feelings and surprises for a while, but I feel the exact accomplishment my mom felt. Being a single mother and still being able to give Ty a wonderful Christmas - that's a gift in itself. I know, I know...gifts aren't what Christmas is about - but to me, the accomplishment and "traditions" I can pass on to Ty will give me happiness forever! After we'd open presents, we would then go to Mamaw's and eat...then we would all sit in the living room - now, for those of you that have seen my grandmother's living room, it's pretty small...so having the ENTIRE family there bunched together, opening presents, hearing the 'thank yous', the excitement - was a wonderful memory in itself. I can't tell you how much I miss having the ENTIRE family at Mamaw's for Christmas. Oh, how time changes...mom and Papaw are gone...there's not a bunch of kids in the floor watching cartoons and playing with our presents, my uncle and his family live in Clarksville, so they don't come in for Christmas anymore...and we're all grown. Ok, is it me, or is this blog getting pretty depressing?? Sheesh. Anyway, point made, I miss the Christmas traditions, the family, my mom, my papaw, and seeing the HUGE smile on my mom's face as we open our presents...but only now can I pass that tradition on to Ty and hope he realizes what that big goofy smile means, when he's my age :)

On a lighter note, Christmas is 1 week away and I am stoked! Ty is getting so big...crawling EVERYWHERE...walking, with assistance of course. He won't let go of mommy. He is now wanting EVERY THING mommy puts in her mouth...last night he was playing in the floor, he stands up at my legs and just looks at me, like a little puppy dog and every time I put the spoon in my mouth, he wines. Seriously, like a puppy dog :) He is enjoying his toys from his birthday so much, and I promise - pictures will be posted soon! Once I get my own internet and stop stealing it from my neighbors, I promise, I will get back on track with my pictures. In the meantime, I hope everyone has a wonderful and blessed Christmas! Don't forget those "goofy" smiles, because you never know, that could be the tradition your child remembers for the rest of their life. God Bless!




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment